Youth Substance Abuse Safety Program Standards
To provide the best, most appropriate opportunity for intervention for every ASP client using best practices and promising approaches.
1. Provider Qualifications and Screening/Assessment Tools
· All clients will participate in a substance abuse screening or assessment. Programs shall assure that all clients meet this requirement with a qualified treatment professional, defined as a licensed or certified substance abuse counselor or an apprentice working under the supervision of a licensed substance abuse counselor.
· All qualified treatment professionals shall utilize an evidence-based tool for the substance abuse screening or assessment; and document which tool was used.
· Programs shall develop practices designed to maximize client contact with program staff and treatment professionals. At a minimum, all clients will have face to face contact with a qualified treatment professional.
· Program staff will provide relevant collateral information to treatment professionals serving YSASP clients (e.g., BAC, criminal, or family history).