Frequently Asked Questions

Why don't I just go through the court?
Court is more expensive, it is not confidential, and you will have a criminal record.

How long does it take to complete court diversion?
The Restorative Agreement (contract) must be completed in 60-90 days.

What is the phone number for the Vermont Superior Court Windsor Unit?

Who should I make my payment check out to?

What will happen if I don't participate in court diversion?
Your case will be returned to court for prosecution.

Who is eligible for court diversion?
We accept felony and misdemeanor cases with the exception of cases involving intimate partner and sexual violence or violence against children. In Vermont individuals are eligible for court diversion if they have been referred by the State's Attorney for criminal offenses. In New Hampshire individuals are referred by the prosecuting officer.

What are the GAIN-Q and YASI screening tools?
GAIN-Q stands for the Global Assessment of Individual Needs (Quick Version). It is a general assessment tool used to identify various life problems and areas that might need further intervention.
YASI stands for Youth Assessment and Screening Instrument. It is an innovative model for the assessment of risk, needs, and protective factors in at-risk youth.

Who makes up your hearing panels?
The hearing panels consist of volunteers from Upper Valley communities who have been screened and trained in restorative justice practices.

Is Valley Court Diversion Program a state program or nonprofit organization?
It is a private, nonprofit agency that is a member of the Vermont Association of Court Diversion Programs.

What is your success rate?
Windsor County Court Diversion: 86% percent of cases successfully complete the program.

Can I leave the state if I'm involved in the diversion process?
Yes. However, if you move, you must inform your Case Manager of your new address.

Can I join the armed service if I complete diversion successfully?

What do I do if I can't afford my fee?
Explain your financial situation with your Case Manager and request a payment plan.

Should I get a lawyer?
You can hire an attorney, but it is an extra expense and not necessary to participate in court diversion.

Will my parents find out?
If you are under the age of 18 your parents need to be actively involved.
If you are 18 or older your parents do not need to be involved.

How is court diversion funded?
In Vermont, court diversion programs are run by local nonprofit agencies under the supervision of the Attorney General's office. Some state funding, fees paid by clients, and private donations provide the revenues for our programs. Our New Hampshire program is supported by fees, small grants, and the Lower Grafton County area. Please consider making a donation to help support court diversion.